 Off-Topic / Debate / 28306
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:39:53 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I completely disagree with this. By posting in a public forum you are inviting other participants of that forum to your discussion.

Not necessarily. Sure, anyone who is a member is free to read and respond to any given post, but unless there is a “comments welcome”or “LMKYT”, for example, responses aren’t solicited. When I post a MOC, I do not do so in order to receive feedback. Simply sharing and participating in the community is reward in and of itself.

I still disagree. By posting in a public forum you are, in my opinion, soliciting and inviting response. If you do not wish response, or if you wish only certain people to respond you should either not post or take it to email.

   This reminds me of a noob a while back who posted some things and was miffed and hurt that his posts weren’t commented upon. I remember thinking, “if you want feedback, you should ask for it.” And conversely, if comments aren’t solicited, then they aren’t necessary desired.

I agree with that but it is a different issue. By posting you solicit response, by asking you request response. It’s the difference between yelling your opinion to a party and asking people’s opinions on what you say.

   You can take it to email if you don’t want public responses. To post publically and not expect response is, in my opinion, the height of bad manners, it’s like shouting a conversation in a busy room but demanding everyone else ignores it.

I didn’t say “expected”; I said solicited. Of course I’m not surprised when people chime in, but I don’t expect responses to posts for which I haven’t asked.

JOHN

I think you should expect responses. That’s the whole point of a public forum. The onus is on you to ignore or respond to subsequent responses, not on someone else to not post when you don’t want them to.

Tim