 Off-Topic / Debate / 28145
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:37:07 GMT

   Why is it silly, in your view? And what does it say about Republicans in general that they’re willing to oust someone who expresses an opinion that didn’t come from the party’s marching orders?

Resolve for the war is sacred. Don’t underestimate the passion for this issue. All others pale in comparison.

Well, that explains the chickenhawks and diehards, but the overwhelming majority of Americans object to Bush’s handling of the war, so you’re essentially saying that Republicans are fundamentally out of touch with their electorate.

I’m saying that the MSM objects to Bush’s handling of the war, so that is the opinion of the GP. Don’t you think people would have a better view of the war if the MSM portrayed it in a better light? Seriously, I honestly believe that the media could have derailed our war effort in WWII had they wanted.

Which would you prefer: a near-total media blackout on the real impact of the Iraq war on its innocent civilians and our soldiers, or honest and thorough reporting of the state of the war? Me, I’d prefer the latter, and it’s a shame that we don’t have it. If you disagree, please point me to the major media outlet that’s been covering the war honestly?

The truth is that this disastrous war is causing hideous longterm damage to Iraq, to its citizens, to our military, and to the families of our military, and for what? Be careful what you wish for--if the American Idol-watching public were made aware of the true state of things, I don’t think that it would go well for Bush or for the rubber-stamp Republican Congress that refused to rein him in.

   Dems correctly recognize that they must proceed with care to prevent their objections from being grossly misrepresented. You call it cowardice, but I see it as another unavoidable facet of what you like to identify as “The Game.”

Well, in this instance, it’s no game.

That’s my point--it’s never a game, though you’re happy to label it as such when you’re trying to justify/excuse the latest round of Republican malfeasance or hypocrisy or felonies (or all of the above).

   They are against the war-- prove it. They need to accept the consequences of their beliefs. If most of America is REALLY for a pullout, where’s the harm? Their actions, in theory, would be met with thanks. This is a simple case of wanting their cake (Tough on terror) and eat it, too (Cut and run). There is “The Game™”.

What you’re saying, in essence, is that if Democrats can’t come up with a quick fix for a disaster that Bush has spent years creating, then somehow the Democrats are at fault? Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way.

And there is no inconsistency between being tough on terror and withdrawing our forces from Iraq. Only in the minds of Neocons and their apologists are these two incompatible.

Please answer these two questions, for the record:
What would qualify as success in Iraq?
What would qualify as failure?

Dave!