 Off-Topic / Debate / 281
280  |  282
Subject:
Christian == Catholic? (Was Geez...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:01:48 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
Good point.  I was pointing out that it was lumped, and it is confusing to
some non-believers.

I apologise for not being sufficiently precise. Catholicism is a kind of
Christianity. But there are offshoots that feel that they are christian
that most christians would not feel actually are. The one that springs
to mind the quickest is the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints
(the Mormons) who not all christians accept as christians. (Or am I all
wet there?)

Another one, surprisingly, is Islam. Many Mohammedans call themselves
Christian++ !

Where is this going? Well, just to point out that depending on who (and
when) you asked, you'll get different answers. Ask a Catholic priest ca.
1650, and you'd be told that Lutherans are not christians, only the
Catholics are, after all, the pope said so!

The pope is the supreme christian only for Catholics.

Now the modern rapproachment among sects has certainly muddied the
waters a bit.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.