 Off-Topic / Debate / 27742 (-10)
  Re: The God Game!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote: <snip> Their is one notable flaws of logic in this test. They compare the burden (...) That's the question that hung me up. Dave K (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) I got struck with a hit on that one as well: "As long as there are no compelling arguments or evidence that show that God does not exist, atheism is a matter of faith, not rationality." "If, despite years of trying, no strong evidence or (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) Would you also argue that the statement "people who believe in God must make a leap of faith" is too broad and non-specific? (...) I would have to say that you are either an agnostic or you have made a leap of faith. It is my opinion that an (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) I don't want to start a whole big thing here, but I'd take issue with that statement as being too broad and non-specific. One form of atheism--the belief that God does not exist--may require a leap of faith, but that's not the only form. I, (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) Tricky. I had to go back to that class I took back in my Catholic HS days to think through those questions. In the end I scored zero hits and bit twice. Adr. (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) Yeah. It's a massively flawed argument IMO. (...) I'm making the point that atheism is as much of a leap of (not)faith as religion is a leap of faith. Thus although I know that agnosticism is logical (as there is nor proof for or against) I (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) Thanks for the parenthetical presumably, Dave! ;-) Fellow 1 bullet biter, JOHN (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) I agree-- I had the same thoughts when I took the Loch Ness "hit". BTW, when you say you are a "devout atheist", what exactly does that mean? Are you asserting that there definitely ISN'T a God somehow? Just wondering, JOHN (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The God Game!

(...) Cute! I "bit one bullet," but otherwise my worldview is pretty consistent, according to this test. Sure it's somewhat flawed, but (presumably) it's not as though St. Peter's standing at the Pearly Gates with this test in hand, waiting to snag (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The God Game!

I agree, the reasoning behind "contradictions" I ran into was from a flawed basis for the questions. (...) (18 years ago, 25-Apr-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact