 Off-Topic / Debate / 27609
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:46:51 GMT

Mr Tolerant, Just imagine the fuss in the west if the same paper had printed anti-jewish material...

Scott A

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Hey all,

Have you guys seen this story? A Danish newspaper printed several cartoons of Mohammed last September and this has led to complaints to the UN, death threats, and boycotts of Danish goods in some Arab nations (which is how I first saw the story on ILENN, because many of the news stories say boycott Danish products including ... LEGO ...). Then this morning I saw it in the Post because several other European newspapers reran the cartoons in solidarity with the Danish paper, and apparently the editor of one French paper got sacked over this. You can see the cartoons in question on this blog.

It is a great example of the differences between freedom and totalitarianism; of tolerance and intolerance. Unless the world of Islam can learn to “live and let live”, there is going to be a very large and violent cultural war in the future; I fear that the war in Iraq is only the beginning....

This isn’t a war of our choosing, unless you consider our choosing to defend our freedom as a cause for war.

JOHN