 Off-Topic / Debate / 2748
Re: Pastel = Profit (Was Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 06:36:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
[...]
I could care less about what TLC has said to you in private, Todd, because
you've kept it private (I'm actually assuming they HAVE talked to you in
private quite a few times) for good reason, I'd assume.  You have posted
tidbits here and there, but not much.

Inasmuch as I dislike "tooting the horn," I also try not to keep important
things like that secret, assuming I am able to say one way or the other.
In October of 1997, for example, I did mention that Suzanne and I had had a
meeting with two TLG attorneys and talked about a number of issues, including
trademarks and copyrights.  At this point (1999), I'd have to consult my
notes to recall exactly what was said, but I do specifically remember that
there were compliments on the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide, which has always had
clear and high-quality scans (not full instructions, but the front panel of
the instructions).  They even had it up running on a web browser there.
Considering all of that, and the fact that there also once was an email from
an TLG employee in Denmark who said that the president had seen the FLG and
was impressed, and that we talked about how to word disclaimers for sites,
there was no doubt in my mind at that point that TLG (now TLC) did approve
of it -- not just passively, but actively (albeit quietly and with classic
TLG subtlety).  And I should mention, these were not joe-average attorneys
I'm talking about -- these were some of the top guns.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that, just because something hasn't been stated
publicly, or was said so long ago as to have been forgotten, doesn't mean
that that something is necessarily true or untrue.  So with all due respect,
when you say that TLC had never said yea or nay to xyz, you're actually
making an assumption, or at best a educated guess.

Peace brother,  :-)
--Todd