 Off-Topic / Debate / 27381
Re: Chemical weapons used in Iraq - sadder and sadder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:03:22 GMT

Now that it's clear (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4417024.stm)
that the US used chemical incendiary weapons

Even if folks think the Italian thingie is a bit thin, there's still no doubt
the US used chemical weapons in Iraq
(http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/11/15/war-without-rules/).

Team this with the sad image of senior administration officials arguing with the
senate that the US should be allowed to torture people.

And recall that the US Military Budget will soon exceed that of the rest of the
world (http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdi/jdi050504_1_n.shtml).

There's not quite so much shining between sea and shining sea.

Don't get me wrong, its not that the US is bad, or at least not worse than most
other countries, its just that its not better.

For a while there, even as recently as Clinton, some of us looked on the US as
the leader of the western world, not just the kingpin.

My mistake obviously, but its still a pity.  One of those times when you wish
you hadn't been paying attention.

Dave!'s post is over week old, and I see no-one is running to defend, but
neither do I see (here or anywhere of moment) any broad sense of indignation.
Maybe we're all ok with this.

Not to worry, between the military build-up in the name of defending against
terrorism, the increasing sophistication of intelligence and surveillance
services in the name of defending against terrorism, and our headlong rush to a
nice safe totalitarian state in the name of defending against terrorism, it
might not be too long before it doesn't matter whether we're ok with it or not.

I find myself daydreaming of sitting at a quiet table in a run down café,
sipping Victory Gin flavoured with saccharine and cloves, waiting for the end…
http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/23/

Richard
Still baldly going...