 Off-Topic / Debate / 271
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:40:18 GMT

Wouter van Wageningen writes:
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:22:36 GMT, Larry Pieniazek
<lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:

1 - as opposed to someone who just goes to church for the social reasons
who don't believe... they are just venal hypocrites.

I don't get that one. Is someone who believes in the bible, but
attends a biology class regarding Darwin, also a hypocrite?

Presumably, I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means people who go
just because "it's a nice place to be" without really taking into account (at
least) the real purpose of church attendance.

To directly answer your question, I would say it doesn't make him a hypocrite.
If you are going to debate someone, you had better know what he knows and why
he believes/knows it.

If you believe the bible _and_ that God used evolution, you had better know
your bible and your Darwin to verify their agreement. Many people find them
irreconcilable.

Many people seek to bolster their "side", when they really should be honestly
seeking to discover the truth.

From Tom McDonald
Anti-spam block in place.
http://mbr-hobby.neotown.com/radiotitan/lego/lego.html