 Off-Topic / Debate / 2696
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:38:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Todd,
Let's face it, if TLC were THAT worried about the pics in the retailer
catalog getting out there, they wouldn't release it so early.

Oh, gee, yeah, that certainly justifies it.  :-/

First, the retailer catalog was never "released" (to consumers).  Retailer
catalogs are sent to *retailers* for *retailers* to use for their businesses.

Second, to the best of my knowledge, this year's retailer catalog hasn't even
been sent to retailers in the U.S. yet.  I don't know how or where Huw's
so-called "correspondent" got a copy.

Third, I said it before but I'll say it again:  LEGO employees at the Mall
of America LEGO Imagination Center had said that they could *lose their
jobs* for showing a retailer catalog to consumers before the products were
out on shelves.

Let's be a little responsible as a community for once, for crying out loud.
Are Suzanne and I the only ones who feel this way?

It's not rationalizing, it's flat out common sense.  If TLC can't imagine
that the pics WILL make it on the Web in this day and age, they are truly
clueless about the net economy and are doomed.

I completely agree with you on the second point, and I will add that perhaps
the reason that the retailer catalogs are so late this year is precisely
because TLC -does- in fact realize this (what, do you think they're complete
idiots?) and delayed it on purpose because they've got some major press
announcements to make first.

You seem to be implying that the inevitability of leaks justifies the leaks,
and that our "rights" as rabid info-hungry fanatical fans are more important
than the LEGO Company's rights to announce their products when and how they
choose.

As others have noted, retailers in many countries have had these catalogs
ON THE SHELVES for customers to view for many years.  If TLC were so
worried about it, I'm sure they would have cracked down on this long before.

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that it's likely that TLC
policies on the issue differ from country to country (i.e., from business
unit to business unit) or that certain retailers have simply been
irresponsible.

It's a BEEEEEEG leap to go from that to "Oh Gee, tra la la la la, let's
publish this on the Internet!  Yippee!"

Argh.

Again, until I specifically see something from TLC saying NOT to distribute
the pics, I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

You don't see anything wrong with defecating all over a company's publicity
and intellectual property rights regarding information which was, up until
two days ago, a trade secret.  Wonderful.

Why am I here?

--Todd