 Off-Topic / Debate / 26904
Re: This just in: Republicans "lose" the filibuster debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 16:57:51 GMT

   From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050520/apongoco/filibusterfight

Point of procedure here. I posted in plaintext. if YOU choose to switch to FTX, it’s YOUR responsibility to clean up any URLs that, because you switch, look icky. I’ve left it icky so you can see your crime, the underbars are throwing off the underlining and making it look all wonky. Worse, a plaintext link, by itself, is clickable, but the same link rendered in FTX needs to be pasted in, andonce the underbars start dictating underlining, the link is wrong when pasted.

So... DON’T change from plaintext to FTX willy nilly!

   “Republican Sen. Rick Santorum (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania countered, “It’s the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942.” He said Democratic protests over Republican efforts to ensure confirmation votes would be like the Nazi dictator seizing Paris and then saying: “I’m in Paris. How dare you invade me? How dare you bomb my city? It’s mine.” ”

HAHAHAHA!!! You invoked Hitler first. The D3ms 0wnz U N0w!! You l00z!

Well, there goes your argument! ;-)

That IS the problem with Godwin’s law and the (mis)application of it, even for humor value, isn’t it? ... The Wiki I gave talks to that point nicely.

Technically I actually lost because of using L33t, I think. Assuming I was arguing!

   Yeah, invoking He-who-must-not-be-named (and I don’t mean Voldemort) was a mistake and Santorum has already admitted it (I heard him say it live this morning on the air), but that still doesn’t change the fact that the Dems haven’t a leg to stand on here, that they are playing politics (and will lose), and the Fried is correct in his assessment IMO.

“the Fried?” Is that some sort of tacit reference to what people in Harvard Square do for fun? Been there, done that but let’s not go into much detail.

++Lar