 Off-Topic / Debate / 26902
This just in: Republicans "lose" the filibuster debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 16:03:10 GMT

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050520/ap_on_go_co/filibuster_fight

"Republican Sen. Rick Santorum (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania
countered, "It's the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942." He said Democratic
protests over Republican efforts to ensure confirmation votes would be like the
Nazi dictator seizing Paris and then saying: "I'm in Paris. How dare you invade
me? How dare you bomb my city? It's mine." "

HAHAHAHA!!! You invoked Hitler first. The D3ms 0wnz U N0w!! You l00z! (1)(2)

For a somewhat more serious analysis of this filibuster fight from a
constitutionality angle:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/05/19/demagoguing_the_filibuster_debate/

(not sure if this link will work forever)

I'm not sure I agree with Mr Fried (3)... but it's an interesting analysis
nonetheless. Hope you enjoy reading it.

1 - from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
2 - Past readers know I don't think Mr. Santorum is the brightest bulb in the
box.
3 - who I think was Solicitor General during part of the Reagan administration
and currently teaches Constitutional Law at Harvard (4)
4 - which doesn't necessarily mean he's RIGHT, that's Arguing from Authority,
but apparently someone somewhere thinks he knows something. YMMV.