 Off-Topic / Debate / 26393
Re: Clark County, Ohio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:39:14 GMT

It would really be a shame if this clueless stunt (by a paper I have little
respect for, mind you) backfired and ended up swinging a swing county to Bush

This apparently came to pass.

According to an article in today's USA Today,

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/vote2004/2004-11-04-brits-letters_x.htm

Clark County was the only county in Ohio that voted Democratic in 2000 that went
Republican in 2004 (certainly other county vote totals shifted in the GOP
direction, GOP counties becoming more GOP and Dem counties becoming less Dem,
but this is the only one that actually changed sides)

and thus swinging the state to Bush, and thus swinging the election to Bush
so we were stuck with 4 more years of him.

So as it turns out, that's exactly what happened. It came down to Ohio in the
end, and Ohio went GOP. Darn it.

Whether it was solely this particular stunt that made Ohio come out this way or
not is not easily determinable now, but it certainly is a disappointing outcome
and it would be hard to argue that the Guardian had zero influence on the
outcome, much less a positive influence, at this point, given the coverage their
cluelessness got.

'State Republican officials reported a surge in call-ins and volunteers in Clark
County and across the state in the weeks that followed.' (they could well be
claiming what wasn't true but the press coverage of them saying it didn't help)

Thanks for nothing, Guardian.

PS, our moral courage award goes to Ian Katz:

'Ian Katz, the Guardian executive who came up with the idea, said it was
"self-aggrandizing" and "silly" to think the project affected the outcome. "But
we did get a lot of people talking — in some cases, shouting," he said. Katz
wrote in a recent column: "I think I have an idea of how Frankenstein felt.
Somewhere along the line, the good-humored spirit of the enterprise got lost in
translation.'

That's not how you billed it at the time of the announcement, Ian! You were all
serious and sober and sure that this might make a real difference, not glossing
it over and treating it as a lark. Way to backpedal... VERY courageous.