 Off-Topic / Debate / 26006
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:11:28 GMT

Interesting that you don't bother to address either of the two major points in
my post, Lee (that heterosexuals frequently broadcast their sexual orientation
by referring to the gender of their partners, and that sexual orientation is
about relationships, not just sexual acts).

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:
Verbal gymnastics from Kevin.  Sexual orientation may not tell you the specific
acts a particular couple performs in bed, but you'd have to be an idiot not to
know THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE ACTS two men or two women might do in bed together

People tend to assume that they know the range of possible acts, and they also
assume that they know which ones are most common for certain groups. That's a
lot of assumptions. Just as an example, stats I have seen show that the most
common activity for gay male couples is oral sex, not anal, as so many people
assume. The range of possible acts is very wide, and the acts which are
unavailable to any given couple (m/m, m/f, or f/f) are a very tiny subset of
that range.

(same with 'hets' as you call us, too, although I suppose it's better than
'breeders').

I'm sorry if that term offended you, Lee. Around here, "het" is regarded as more
polite than "straight", so I was trying to be polite :-) And I share your
offence at "breeders" as a term: I'm a parent too, and I regard that term as
insulting to both gay and straight parents and to children.

Come on, before the modern term of 'homosexual' was coined into
English, everyone knew what a sodomite was, and what kinds of specific acts it
was referring to.

The "street" understanding of sodomy as anal sex, doesn't agree with the legal
definition in some states, which includes oral sex (eg Utah, here:
http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/utah/utah.htm ). Many straight couples would be
startled to find out that what they regard as normal sex is sodomy, and illegal.

Don't try to play naive here - none of us has just fallen off
the turnip truck lately.

Wrong way round: I was assuming that people here were *not* naive, and were
aware of the wide range of sex acts and how many of them are common to
differently oriented couples.

Kevin
ps generally: are we getting too graphic here even for debate?