 Off-Topic / Debate / 2593
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:43:47 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

FUT off-topic.debate

Scott-A wrote:

But Paul never would have ordered 300 if it wasnt for ME backstopping
him. I'm not making that up, Paul told me that himself. So the rest of
you poms would NOT have gotten nearly as many as you did if it wasn't
for me making sure it happened.

I must have missed the "Hey everybody, BB is getting BH way cheap" message?

So did everyone else, there wasn't one. I don't know if you've run the
numbers, but phone calls cost money to Paul. Every call means time he
has to spend on the phone, and that's time that he isn't waiting on
customers. He was rather glad that this didn't get posted right away as
he would have gotten three times the calls and have sunk under their
weight.

Everyone seems to ignore the efforts and costs of the phone calling. I
didn't get any hoppers because I didn't force myself to get up early
enough in the morning to call from home since I've never bothered to get
a phone card so I could call from work. I've made three calls to Busy
Bee, for a total cost of about 10 bucks to get a 6765, a 6278, and a
2150. It wasn't even clear that I would get a 2150, but fortuanately I
got one (which incidentally cost Paul an oversees call to tell me
about).

I'm annoyed that I didn't get any hoppers, but I'm not annoyed at Larry.
I'm most annoyed at TLC for not making these more easily available (and
discontinuing them in the first place). I do wish that Busy Bee had an
e-commerce site, but then would it still be a nice little mom-and-pop
type store where you get real service?

And I don't know why the UK folk are annoyed that we are taking "their"
sets. TLC doesn't have a plant in the UK do they? As I understand, Paul
has been getting this old stock from TLC directly, probably the same way
DYA has (now why DYA hasn't picked up any train stuff I don't know).
Larry, could you fill us in on what you know of the details of how Paul
is getting these? That might help defuse the situation some. As I see
it, Paul is benefiting his UK customers by selling internationally to
get the volumes to the point where it is worth buying the sets. It's
possible that he has to order fairly large minimum quantities of each
set.

Another thing to think about: Since Paul got the 300 that Larry was
backstopping, perhaps there are still more. Perhaps Paul will get
another load next year (after there is time for the ones that are out
there right now to get around), or perhaps DYA will find them, or
perhaps they'll find their way into KB Toys, who knows.

What is promising is that TLC seems to not be destroying discontinued
stock, and instead putting it out on the discount clearance market, even
to the point of running their own store (which now is capable of
shipping).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com