 Local / United Kingdom / 2107
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:19:18 GMT

FUT off-topic.debate

Scott-A wrote:

But Paul never would have ordered 300 if it wasnt for ME backstopping
him. I'm not making that up, Paul told me that himself. So the rest of
you poms would NOT have gotten nearly as many as you did if it wasn't
for me making sure it happened.

I must have missed the "Hey everybody, BB is getting BH way cheap" message?

So did everyone else, there wasn't one. I don't know if you've run the
numbers, but phone calls cost money to Paul. Every call means time he
has to spend on the phone, and that's time that he isn't waiting on
customers. He was rather glad that this didn't get posted right away as
he would have gotten three times the calls and have sunk under their
weight.

When all was said and done, and it became clear to me what a gold mine I
happened to have lucked into, I told Paul he was charging way too
little.

So you bought 96 not knowing was a "gold mine"?

That's right. I figured I would not lose in the long run and I wanted a
bunch for myself. I'm keeping 20. if I had gotten the 300 I originally
asked for I would have kept 100 and given GMLTC 100 at cost. But I had
no idea that they'd be quite the bonanza they were.

So I guess I'm sick of these veiled references to the "blue hopper
thing". You people whining haven't internalised what a "venture
capitalist" brings to the table and why it's fair that a VC makes a
boatload of money the one time in 10 or 100 when things go right.

What were the risks involved on the BH thing?

That I'd be eating 200 hoppers more than I wanted to with the market
flooded (There may have been several tens of thousands in the warehouse,
no one knew for sure) and no one able to sell them for much more than
they paid, if that. Kind of like 8880s right now... I'm sitting on 8
(which, again, Paul thanked me for taking because he was getting sick of
them cluttering up his stockroom) and they're not selling for very much.
Don't cry for me, though. Comes with the territory.

So why are YOU selling stuff on eBay? Out of charity? I doubt it. You
seem an honest trader but I just don't get this. That goes for everyone
else in the whiner crowd too....

It's OK for you to make some money but not for me? Or is it OK for a
certain percent profit but not above it? So when you get a big win on an
eBay lot do you rebate what you think is too much back to the buyer and
sell for less?

I do, actually, I have done it more than once.

I especially don't get the way that you seem to snipe out these little
one liners instead of dealing substantively with issues, if there are
any. I count 4 of them in the post I reference. Sound bites are great
for the watching audience but don't actually convey much.