 Off-Topic / Debate / 25863
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:32:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joakim Olsson wrote:

Thank you for clearing that up. Here is my comments on your answers:
I (generally) do not think MOC´s from your own examples above, is
"forbidden" to show in the groups allready created.
A good MOC is a good MOC, whatever in may contain. I really do not care if
the builder is gay or not.
We had some controversy earlier about someone building MOC´s with
Nazi-content. Does that make the builder a Nazi-person?

You are completely right about MOCs being able to be posted in other groups.  I
intend, where appropriate, to cross-post any MOCs that I would post.  Some
people may not, its their choice I guess.

And about that "censor-thing".
I mean.. if you censor yourself arent you only doing it to "hide" that you
are gay? But how does that compute with having a group were you do not
censor yourself? People can read the group anyway, so what is the point?
*scratching my head, maybe my beer is having effect =)*

The short answer (and thats difficult) is...sorta.  People around me in life are
going to end up knowing that I'm gay - its hard not to seeing I've been with my
partner for 8 years, own a house with him, and all that related stuff.  But when
I walk into a room with people I don't know - I don't like doing the "blah blah
blah GAY blah blah blah" thing anymore than most people don't like hearing it
apparently.  But it seems I'm screwed either way.  If it doesn't come up
initially I have gotten reactions from people later on such as "well, why was he
lying to us?  I didn't know he was gay? (even though I wasn't "lying" about
anything, just omitting) or if it does come up ("my partner and I went to the
Lego store") I have gotten the "why is he flaunting it?".  So its nice to have a
space on lugnet where I don't have to worry about people's reactions to me
posting something "gay".  People are either going to be there because they are
identify as LGBT themselves, are interested in whats being posted, or something
similiar.  As much as I hate the term, its a "safe space".

And yes, other people can "find out" but its more about having a (here we go
again) "safe space" to first introduce something like that in.  Support goes a
long way.

Would this group only be for gay people, or for "all" people that built a
MOC containing non-hetero environments?
Regards
/J

Yeah, anyone is invited, isn't that the rule for any of the groups on Lugnet?