 Off-Topic / Debate / 25672
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:41:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh wrote:

I think the point was that why should sexual orientation of any kind be a topic on a LEGO hobby site such as LUGNET. I believe it’s the love of LEGO that has brought us together on here, beyond that I don’t think we need to single out folks based on their other love interest outside of LEGO be it heterosexual, homosexual or other.

I happen to not understand why the homosexual AFOLs would want to ghettoize themselves that way either. And I’m not going to cry about it if there’s no support for creating such a club. It doesn’t affect me particularly. AND, I think it’s clear that some of the responses to the original post were saying what you just claimed “the point” was. But that’s not what Mike wrote, and thus, can’t be what he meant. He meant that any discussion of sexuality would be seen as family-unfriendly. And that’s true in America. And a shame. And worthy of debate. And since I hold very strongly opposing views, I’m sharing them.

Sex should be just one more filter that colors all other conversations.

e.g. It is perfectly acceptable to discuss cars here. “Look guys, I built a model of my little brother’s Porche!” Why? Shouldn’t our vehicle orientation be left off LUGNET? After all, it’s the “love of LEGO that has brought us together here.” “We don’t need to single out folks based on their other loves...”

Why should sex be any different?

Hmmm, I think we’re in agreement but it’s not coming out clear. My point is why do we need to have a separate group for gay MOCs (not sure what a gay MOC would be). There is pretty much an correct group for pretty much any MOC, including Porches. (I know a gay MOC group wasn’t requested directly but just trying to address the example above)

My point was that I didn’t really see how sexual orentation effects one’s LEGO hobby. I’ve been a member of a LUG/LTC with a gay member and his stuff was no more gay than anything I built. So his sexual preferences really made no difference to me, I just enjoyed seeing his great LEGO work. And I don’t think he thought any less of my work because I wasn’t gay.

Either way, if a group is desired then fine, but I don’t see why it would be needed.

jt