 Off-Topic / Debate / 25671
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:22:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   Now there’s a topic worthy of off-topic.debate!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Kollross wrote:

   Parents should feel comforatable letting their kids view and post to LUGNET without fear of encoumtering topics they may feel are inappropriate for their childs age.

I agree! Parents should feel comfortable, knowing that no topics contained herein will harm their children. It is a very serious shame that many parents are so confused aout right and wrong and health and harm that they might consider the exposure to homosexuals “inappropriate for their” children.

I think the point was that why should sexual orientation of any kind be a topic on a LEGO hobby site such as LUGNET. I believe it’s the love of LEGO that has brought us together on here, beyond that I don’t think we need to single out folks based on their other love interest outside of LEGO be it heterosexual, homosexual or other.

I happen to not understand why the homosexual AFOLs would want to ghettoize themselves that way either. And I’m not going to cry about it if there’s no support for creating such a club. It doesn’t affect me particularly. AND, I think it’s clear that some of the responses to the original post were saying what you just claimed “the point” was. But that’s not what Mike wrote, and thus, can’t be what he meant. He meant that any discussion of sexuality would be seen as family-unfriendly. And that’s true in America. And a shame. And worthy of debate. And since I hold very strongly opposing views, I’m sharing them.

Sex should be just one more filter that colors all other conversations.

e.g. It is perfectly acceptable to discuss cars here. “Look guys, I built a model of my little brother’s Porche!” Why? Shouldn’t our vehicle orientation be left off LUGNET? After all, it’s the “love of LEGO that has brought us together here.” “We don’t need to single out folks based on their other loves...”

Why should sex be any different?

Chris

I had a conversation with fellow rtlTers about this very thing--

“Hey, what if some gay person showed up at our train show?”

Who cares?

“What if he or she brought a rainbow coloured LEGO brick boxcar to put on the layout?”

First of all, that’d be pretty neat--secondly, again who cares?

“What if he or she used that boxcar as a symbol of his or her lifestyle choices?”

What, he or she is going to point out the boxcar as it circles the layout to the audience at all times “This rainbow coloured boxcar shows that I’m gay and proud of it!!” That’d be a little weird and we’dd ask him or her to stop--not ‘cause it’s repressing his or her lifestyle, but it’s annoying, unsafe, and I’m not running around the layout pointing at my ‘straight’ boxcar and saying “My lifestyle choice!!” I’d think that anyone walking around a LEGO train event, pointing to a boxcar all the time and annoying patrons with ‘lifestyle choices’ would be an idiot, and that would have nothing to do with the lifestyle choices.

So in the end, be gay, play with LEGO bricks--why would that be any different than ‘be straight, play with LEGO bricks’. Makes absolutely no difference to me. Make ‘gay MOCs’ (if we can quantify such a thing), bring ‘em to our train events.

Just don’t go annoying the audience in an unfriendly manner.

Dave K