 Off-Topic / Debate / 2564
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 06:16:02 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
One problem with rape is that it is such a subjective crime. It is possible
for one person to believe rape has occurred where the other person has a
sincere belief that there was consent. Miscommunication happens (think of
what has happened before in this thread).

Nope, sorry.  That sounds like something you'd hear on The Practice
or some other lawyer show.  Rape doesn't (normally) occur as a
result of miscommunication.  I can't speak for everyone, but even
the times when I've had what some might call "casual" sex there was
absolutely no doubt in the mind's of all concerned parties that it
was a mutual decision.

So while it may be _possible_ that rape occurs when one person
thinks it's an act between consenting adults (I can imagine cases
where alcohol or other substances are involved) that doesn't mean
that the vast majority of violent rape cases are somehow made less
horrific, or that the rapists are less deserving of death.

My own feeling on capital punishment is that there are very few instances
where it can be justified. One problem is that mistakes occur in the justice
system. Unfortunately you can't undo an execution.

True. (The undoing).  My own opinions about capital punishment
aren't so focused on the actual severity of the crime or its effects
on the victims (although surely nobody would argue rape victims
suffer tremendously) but more on what it indicates about the lack of
humanity of the criminal.  Probably not the most PC thing in the
world to say, but I'm of the opinion that violent criminals prove by
their actions that they are not fully human.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/