 Off-Topic / Debate / 2563
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:07:13 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <383e047e.247832761@lugnet.com>...
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:28:51 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:
Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
What if, in the earlier example, the rape victim fought off her • attacker, and
in the process killed him?  Who, then, is guilty of what?

Short answer: I dunno. That bit requires much further thought.

Hunh?  Rape ought to be a capital crime anyway, but if a rape

No, it oughtn't. That's another discussion, but it does colour my
thoughts here.

Please note: my discussion below is not intended to diminish the impact of
rape or attempted rape on anyone.

Something to ponder in thinking about rape as a capital crime:

Where do you draw the line for rapes which can be considered a capital
crime?

- Only actual rape where some form of sexual contact occurs
- Attempted rape
  in this case where do you draw the line? Attempted rape
  is extremely subjective. I hope we can all agree that
  a guy asking a girl in the bar if she'll come back to
  the apartment for some fun is NOT a capital crime

One problem with rape is that it is such a subjective crime. It is possible
for one person to believe rape has occurred where the other person has a
sincere belief that there was consent. Miscommunication happens (think of
what has happened before in this thread).

My own feeling on capital punishment is that there are very few instances
where it can be justified. One problem is that mistakes occur in the justice
system. Unfortunately you can't undo an execution.

Frank