 Off-Topic / Debate / 25531
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:32:02 GMT

I happened to find an interesting cite. I think it's germane to the section of
the post below I haven't trimmed away

Moore is a jerk(3) because of his methods, (or if you like, he chooses to use
his methods because he's a jerk, it matters not to me) but it's not the methods,
rather his previous outcomes that lead me to my conclusion... he tends to be
wrong about stuff so betting against him is a good way to bet. Some people won't
look past that and will take it as revealed truth. Hence his alignment with any
cause does it a disservice. (similar effects can be seen with people like Rush
Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly)

But further, if you have a scoundrel espousing a cause that reflects badly on
the cause. That's not ad hominem, it's merely an observation.

This is an op-ed piece written by Ellen Goodman:

http://www.postwritersgroup.com/archives/good0629.htm

I found this para particularly relevant:

"Moore described his movie as an "op-ed piece," not a documentary. Well, I know
something about op-ed pieces. Over the long run, you don't get anywhere just
whacking your audience upside the head; you try to change the mind within it.
You don't just go for the gut. You try, gulp, reason."