 Off-Topic / Debate / 25511
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:29:04 GMT

"Mark P" <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote in message
news:I2vxt7.q1p@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

I think you are wrong. Dan owes nobody a reason. Dan does not NEED to
explain
why he runs his site the way he does. And people are going to think what
they
want to no matter what is said.. proof of that is already easy to see.

Dan has already said it was due to a 'malicious problematic past' and
thats all
that should be needed. Dan does not need to divulge ANY private
information.
IMHO if he does - that would be far worse than anything already done. We
were
given a reason - some may not like it, some may not think its enough - but
fact
remains, thats what we got.

I have a real problem with businesses that like to lay down the law without
providing a reasonable explanation as to why.

A while back I had an issue with my ISP where they accused me of a policy
violation.  When I directed them to the policy on the matter, they claimed
that though I followed the listed policy to the letter - that policy did not
apply to me and instead another more vague policy did apply.

They weren't willing to discuss the possibility that they were wrong - and
they weren't able to explain to me why one published policy applied to me
even though another didn't.

If someone has a policy, and the policy is broken, I see no problem with
warnings and subsequent enforcement.

I do take issue with people who intentionally maintain overly broad
catch-all policies simply to eliminate any reasonable ability to object to
decisions made by the management.

The least this "Dan" fellow could do, if indeed a gray area was encountered,
would be to either cite the previously posted policy that had been violated
by "Larry" - or at least admit the arbitrary nature of his rule enforcement
and add a new item to the policy as a result of Larry's unforeseen act.

But this whole "Dan doesn't need to explain his actions" idea is hooey.

-Neb

--
Michael Badnarik, Libertarian for President >>>>>
http://badnarik.org/?sid=32232