 Off-Topic / Debate / 25313
Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
And this "difference between belief and fact" is what you're claiming
underpins the difference between agnosticism and atheism?  But a Christian
only has the belief too, so are they agnostic?

Agnostics generally fall into one of two camps: 1) true agnostics who believe
it's impossible to know if any god exists in the absence of material proof, and
2) modern faux-agnostics who believe that some god probably exists, but they're
not sure which one.  There are Christians who lean towards Type 1 agnosticism by
questioning the existence of god in general, but in the end they will generally
either end up strengthening their beliefs or abandoning them altogether in favor
of atheism.  Christians, like any other organized religion, may have certain
questions about their faith, but ultimately they do have faith in their
religion.

I would question whether you mean "religion" or "God" here.  Faith in religion
is what I call "Churchianity".  It's no better than superstition, like athletes
who always go through the same routine before the race starts.

As a Christian, I have many questions about faith and about the God in whom I
have faith.  This is quite healthy as otherwise my mind would not be involved.

A Christian has relationship with God.  This is based on faith, but acting on
faith brings experience.  With experience, faith gains vision and is no longer
blind.  It is a virtuous circle.

Incidentally, I count myself as a Christian, not a [denomination]ist, since I
believe it's about relationship, not religion.  The only things that could be
called 'religion' for me are the deeds of faith: "show me your faith without
deeds and I'll show you my faith by what I do" (James 2:18 NIV).

It takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to believe that there is a god
of some sort.  People have not yet managed to grow a tree from a jar of
chemicals, so there is still a big gap in science.  If science is not
all-powerful then something else must be.  Call it 'god', since that's what
others use to explain things that science can't explain.  This argument is not
what I actually believe, but how well do you think the logic works?

The chinese word for 'agnostic' is composed of 3 characters, meaning "not can
know".  I wonder if there's any correlation between people who have trouble
trusting others and those who subscribe to type 1 agnosticism?

Mark