 Off-Topic / Debate / 25312
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:46:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Bellis wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

Shameless diversion aside, I agree. Let’s get back to biblical principles. How many wives and concubines did Soloman have again?

This is very OT (excuse the pun); for a NT ref see Matthew 25:1-12: “...the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom....” ;)

Heh! I see your wishful thinking!

However, 1 Timothy 3:2 says: “Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife,...” and 1 Timothy 3:12 says: “A deacon must be the husband of but one wife...” (both NIV).

This probably acknowledges that having multiple wives was not out of the ordinary for that society,

I agree 100%; that was the point I was trying to make.

   but it certainly says that monogamy is the ideal and the example to set if you’re in a position of leadership in the church.

Frankly, I don’t know how Solomon coped with 300 wives and 700 concubines, even if many of them were political marriages to promote trade and keep the peace with neighbouring nations.

Even if marrying 10 virgins were permissible, I’d only want the 5 wise ones, since Biblical marriage is for life. The foolishness of the others would soon grate!

I’ve heard (forgotten where) that if a number of women live in the same house for long enough, their menstrual cycles start to align (can anyone confirm scientific evidence for this?).

I have heard that too. Perhaps we were pack animals in our (alleged) evolutionary past?

   Imagine even 10 wives all with PMT at the same time! :-)

In jewish society there were people paid to help others to mourn their dead, so I suppose the virgins with lamps could have been hired to help the wedding celebration.

So what is the relevance of the them being “virgins”?

Scott A

   Of course the point of the parable is being ready for Jesus’ return. This means Christians should be actively involved in ‘tent making’ (work) and building relationships with others, whilst keeping short accounts with God.

Mark