 Off-Topic / Debate / 25310
Re: NJ Gov resigns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:39:32 GMT

I think that he suspects that he'll be dogged by critics and righteous
condemnors from now until he's out of office, and the resources he'd have to
devote to defending against that nonsense would detract from his ability to
maintain his office.

Though the point raised by both Scott and Chris suggests he had a much less
altruistic reason for resigning, another related possibility for someone in this
situation would be the ability to largely retreat from the public eye
afterwards.  I mean, if you're in a hetero marriage, and having a secret gay
affair on the side, I'd think it's a pretty clear sign that you're not
comfortable with the idea of coming out of the closet.  If you're basically
forced to by the media, it'd be understandable if you don't feel like standing
in the public/political spotlight on that subject for the remainder of your term
of office.  Once you become a high-level public official, it's really hard to
keep your private life private unless you can find a way to keep the
public/media from caring about you.  Resigning pretty much guarantees a brief
burst of chatter over your reasons for doing so, but retired politicians seem to
fall off the map unless they make a point of keeping themselves in the public
eye.