 Off-Topic / Debate / 25291
Re: 40 Reasons to support Gun Control.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:58:15 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   (Also known as the proof positive that Liberals are not just stupid, but insane.)

Do you subscribe to that idea, or are you merely propogating it?

In any case, you should check here every week for an inexhaustible supply of Conservative idiots. Updated weekly, because Conservative idiocy just keeps coming!

Dave!

Well, here’s the thing--

I am becoming increasingly swayed to ‘the dark side’. Let me clear this up--I will never personally own a gun. I don’t like ‘em, and I fundamentally believe that they are a statement of ‘giving up’ on any other action or recourse.

That said, I also believe that people have the inherent right to freely choose waht they want to do with their lives, as long as those choices don’t impact on my life. So go ahead, own your gun. The second that gun ends up taking away the freedom(s) of other law abidig citizens, however, you have lost your ‘right’ to own a gun.

I think this idea should apply to not just guns but cars, etc. If a person gets caught whilst DUI--zero tolerance--immediate license seizure. A ‘one strike and you’re out’ idea, for you have shown you can’t be trusted to use a car in a proper manner. Likewise, if you own a gun and it ends up, unauthorized, in a childs posession, or is used in an unlawful manner, then you have forfeited your rights to own a gun for you have clearly shown you are not responsible enough to own one. Dogs, lawnmowers, whatever--you must be responsible for the ‘lawful use’ of items in your posession.

I will exclude thievery---if someone steals your gun, just like if someone stole your car, and used it in a crime, you have no juristiction over said object and, as such, should suffer no legal ramificaitons.

You abuse the right, you should have the right taken away from you, no matter what ‘it’ is. I don’t believe that people in jail should have the right to vote for, by the fact that they’re incarcerated, means that they have shunned society law and convention, so why should they ‘reap the rewards’ of said society? No vote for you! Come back when you’re out of the joint!

There. That’s my concession on gun ownership ;)

Dave K