 Off-Topic / Debate / 25278
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:07:01 GMT

Again, all things being equal, 1 woman
and 1 man is the superior and ideal family-raising scenario.

I'm not even sure by what criteria one could use to support or reject such a
claim.

I'd start by correllating success in life as measured by the normal societal
values: level of education, income, marital stability, etc. as well as
psychological problems (including substance abuse, depression, etc), medical
problems, self-assessment of happiness, etc.

I go by this: men and women are {very} different by nature; vastly
more different than men between men or women between women.  They are not
equal or interchangable.  They each provide a wholly unique perspective that
is invaluable to a child and the child-raising experience.

The basic idea seems to be that children raised by a (presumably loving) man and
woman have access to a diversity of social, behavioral, and emotional resources
that children raised by one or two members of the same sex.  I have to agree.
There are probably exceptions, but on the whole, this does seem like a pretty
obvious stance.  But I'd welcome refuting evidence if it's around.

Carrying it one (similarly obvious) step further, it would really be superior to
creche-raise children by all the parents of a massive group-marriage in which
all members consider themselves parents of all children regardless of genetic
tell-tales.  Right?  Maybe it really does take a village.

Chris