 Off-Topic / Debate / 25249
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:10:32 GMT

   And if your holeful yard increases the value of my property, then perhaps (hypothetically) I’d be willing to compensate you for your diggery.

But suppose you’re not?

In a market-ruled society the same would be true of any essential task that no one wanted to perform.

Sure, sure... that’s the free rider problem. The pat answer solution is to figure out how to price the task into the costs borne by those to whom it is essential. (note: government is the most common, but not only, mechanism for doing that pricing)

   It’s not INHERENT worth here, it’s EXTRINSIC worth that matters. I posit that some work is worth more than others because it’s judged useful by more people. I further posit that it’s more efficient to let the market determine worth than it is to have a Soviet do it.

Knowing your preference for “outcome” versus “intent,” I would speculate that the years of training are, in the end, irrelevant to your assessment of the value of the skill/task/service.

I agree. However, they are not irrelevant to the process that the person had to go through to get them (saving, hitting daddy up for a loan, writing an essay to win a scholarship, being zapped by Orbital Mind Enhancement Lasers(tm), etc.)

   Here’s a different thought experiment:

Guy A works for fifteen years as student, intern, resident, etc. to become a brain surgeon of skill level X. At the end of those 15 years he asserts that “My skill, won through 15 years of effort, justifies my choice to set my price-for-service at Y,” and the market may accept or reject his assertion at its whim.

Guy B sits on his butt for fifteen years before being struck by an alien brain-o-ray that in one swoop grants him all the skill and knowledge re: brain surgery that Guy A worked so hard to achieve. Guy B then asserts “My skill, acquired through effortless means, justifies my choice to set my price-for-service at Y,” and the market likewise may accept or reject his assertion at its whim.

If Guy A and Guy B have identical skill and ability, would you say that it is reasonable for both to set their price at the same level?

Yes. As you said, it’s not the acquisition that sets the price, it’s the value of the skill. However there’s a knock-on effect. If there are a lot of Guy B’s running around, in future there may be less Guy A’s willing to scrimp and save for 15 years to put themselves through medschool. (meaning, less willing to pay now for income later). Is that a good thing or a bad one?

If Guy B is benefiting from an actual new technology, the initial price point of that new treatment ought to be pretty easy to sustain close to what that 15 years cost (in Net Present Value terms). But over time it will decline. Thus, a good thing.

If Guy B is benefiting from some miracle that’s not sustainable, it may send a bad message to the market, though... people will wonder why bother with Medschool if I can just get lucky... bad money chasing out good. Thus, a bad thing. (c.f. Cargo Cults)

   Doe the ability itself matter more than the effort that it took to acquire that ability? Or does the effort justifiably play into the worth of the service? Or do you set aside individual choice and let the market itself decide?

I’m not a big believer in “fairness” as an actual force in the universe. But IMO it nonetheless strikes me as objectionable that one who achieves a goal through no effort should be rewarded equally as the one who achieved that goal through substantial effort.

It may not be the most fair appearing thing but it nevertheless happens.

Here’s another thought experiment:

Guy C works hard all his life, and by the time he hits 65, he has saved a million dollars thanks to scrimping (buying Tercels instead of Lexuses, if you like, and so forth).

Guy D just skates by, but on his 65th birthday he buys a lottery ticket that hits the jackpot, giving him a million after tax.

Should they be taxed equally on the interest or the inheritance when 6 months later C and D headon and total C’s Tercel and D’s Lexus and both die? Should we value both of these people equally?

The answers you give should have bearing on how you feel about state sponsored lotteries and what message they’re sending the labor market.

   That’s why, to me, the notion of “let the market decide” has only limited value in the real world because it grants unassailable favor to those who are well-placed by happenstance of birth. A kid with no skills can grow up to be President, hypothetically,

Or not, as it happens. :-)

   because he is rich and well placed. And how can the market, which is vastly more succeptible to manipulation by the well-placed than the not-well-placed,

Why is the free market “vastly” more susceptible? What exactly enables this manipulation? Is it part of a free market or part of a partly free one?

   be trusted to dole out the rewards to the well-place and not-well-placed?

What does it mean to say that the market doles out rewards? I do not understand that concept. The market itself has no will and makes no value judgements. The information comes from the participants, and they’re not giving rewards, they’re exchanging value for value, aren’t they?

   Do not get me wrong, I chose Tercel on purpose, as I consider Toyota about the finest car company extant in terms of reliability and suitability to purpose. But their higher end products are better than their lower end ones... Better fit, better finish, more thoughful design, more accessories, more power, etc etc.

And surely you’d agree that if I had a Lexus and you had a Tercel, I had “more” than you did?

I’d be forced to ask why “more” is preferable.

I told you why! A Lexus is a better car. I like nice cars. What’s wrong with liking nice things? (cue “You kids never let me have nice things...”)

   Why is it not enough to have “enough?”

How much is enough? Is a radio enough? Is a TV? How many channels? Does everyone have to have internet connectivity? What is a necessity and what is a luxury changes over time. Is a car without seatbelts good enough? How about airbags? How about one without GPS? without OnStar or its ilk?

I predict 20 years (or less) from now most people will see GPS as a necessity in a car, without really even considering (unless they get contemplative) that once it was a luxury, and not too long before that, it was science fiction that a car would be able to know where it was and tell you where to turn.

   And if we all had “enough,” wouldn’t that reduce the urge to screw(1) one’s neighbor for the sake of getting “more?” I know, I know--Who has the “right” to say that someone else has “enough?”

Are we, as a culture, so shallow that we are more concerned with acquiring “more” for ourselves than we are with ensuring that others have “enough?”

I’m not sure I agree that it is necessarily shallow to be self interested, or that it’s a zero sum game we are engaged in here. Bill Gate’s enrichment has enriched me as well because he’s improved my productivity immeasurably.

   That speaks pretty poorly of our chances at longterm survival as a species.

I’m not sure I follow that.