 Off-Topic / Debate / 25225
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:40:08 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   By “wealth tax” do you mean a tax on acquisitions/already-held holdings separate from income?

Yes. I see it as a sure-fire loop-hole avoidance scheme. If all property is taxed, regardless of who owns it, then the rich -- even when trying to disguise their wealth are taxed proportionately no matter what.

In principle I think this would work for me, as long as we can set up a guarantee against certain individuals legally declaring themselves the tax-free stewards (rather than tax-liable owners) of a multi-billion dollar estate, or something similar.

Alternatively, perhaps we should impose the tax on the property/material/money itself, rather than on the person who “owns” it. That way, each person really would be the tax-free steward, and the tax revenues would still be generated.

   And does “common earnings per hour rate” mean that everyone would get the same hourly wage regardless of profession?

Yeah. Ideally, under such a system the medium of exchange would simply be the manhour.

But wouldn’t that play havoc with comparative advantage? One hour of Bill Gates’s time is worth more than one hour of Paul Krugman’s time and forcing them to be the same seems to miss any information the market can transmit to improve allocations.

Well, the inherent “worth” of an individual’s time is subjective and dependent on context. If I’m about to die of snakebite, then the guy who milks the snakes is worth a lot more than the guy who founded Microsoft. Nevertheless, it must be admitted that some people have invested more manhours in training for (or in otherwise establishing) their vocations, so a greater return on that investment is understandably desirable to them.

Broadly speaking, I suppose that we already engage in something like this manhour-based economy, and the coupons redeemable for a manhour’s work are the existing currency, but a real hour of one person’s work is worth more manhours than an hour of another person’s work. If a manhour is equivalent to, say, $5.15, then a guy who takes home $5.15 pre-tax has earned one manhour. If another guy takes home $51.50 pre-tax, then he’s earned ten manhours in that same interval.

How does one quantify “improved allocations” by the way?

Dave!