 Off-Topic / Debate / 25224
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:40:21 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   The Right (that’s you, John, and your ilk) wants to take away my personal *rights*.

   The Left (that’s you, Richard, and you, Scott, and your ilk) wants to tax and regulate me till there’s nothing *left*.

Myself, I’ll probably still vote Libertarian.

Me Me Me. Typical libertarian!

That makes no sense whatever. My wife and I have a difference of opinion about the importance of voting for Kerry, and about how much different Kerry is than the incumbent but choosing to vote one way rather than the other doesn’t make it “me me me”.

Lighten up. I was making a joke around the common (mis?)conception that libertarians tend to be a tad selfish. I’m not accusing you specifically of anything. But if the shoe fits...

   I have never said

check.

   or implied

Bzzt! Thanks for playing.

It is a small point on which I did not expect a reply. However, your lack of a cite is noted.

   that I want to “tax and regulate till there’s nothing left”.

What’s an appropriate maximum tax rate for the very rich? A specific number is needed here else Scott is wiggling.

lol. No Larry, YOU are “wiggling”. Your lack of a cite is noted! (BTW: If I answered with anything less than %100, you’d still be wrong!)

   I do believe that society has a responsibility to provide basic services such as healthcare and education. Does that make me part of the left?

It makes one non libertarian since “society” has no such responsibility, but one’s as much a part of the modern “right” as one is the modern “left” since both seem to hold this view. But I certainly would love to hear Scott say clearly and explicitly what views he holds... he’s more of a questioner than an answerer though.

Larry, I’m sure you’ll agree a good question is far better than engaging in pseudo-intellectualism based on a 5-minute google search?

Yes. You make it sound like a bad thing. :-)

I’m not sure that society has any such “responsiblity”, I just think it makes for a better society.

You should vote based on what is best for your country; not what is best for you.

If these are different, the system is broken.

Tell that to the poor in your country… they will thank you for your apparent greed.

   “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”

The *best* thing I can do for my country is look after my own enlightened self interest in all things.

Those who made sacrifices for your country must feel rewarded by your apparent selfishness…

   Read your Adam Smith.

Hmm. I thought his “hand of greed” was known as Reaganomics in the USA? ;)

Scott A