 Off-Topic / Debate / 25199
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:20:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:

(snip)

   Anyone who has read my LUGNET posts has seen countless occasions where I have retracted my own statements and/or evolved my opinion about one topic or another.

This only indicates that you hadn’t considered all of the ramifications of a particular issue. Most of the issues I argue I have examined to the Nth degree; my only hope here is to somehow, through this imperfect medium, to communicate my views and use those who disagree as a sort of sounding board, to check for leaks, as it were. I learn a lot, but rarely does that affect my overall viewpoint.

   And unlike George Bush, I try to never make a statement without backing it up with fact.

Well, Chris, how about that very statement for one? How do you know that George Bush makes statements that he never tries to back up with facts?

   If a subsequent post calls my opinion into question, I clarify what I have said.

I am not sure that you could say the same thing. (How many words have you personally expended claiming that same-sex marriage will destroy the institution without any backup

I have provided plenty of backup; it’s just that people like you aren’t willing to listen. If you have a given institution, say marriage, that is defined as the union of 1 man and 1 woman, and you change that definition to something other than that, you have, in essence, forever altered that institution, and thus destroyed it. It ceases to be what it once was. Is this not clear? Now, you may argue, so what? That is another argument. But to say that I haven’t defended that and other statements about marriage means that you haven’t been paying attention.

Now, if you want to change that definition of 1 man and 1 woman, I challenge you to present to me another definition that doesn’t include any of the discriminations you have against a 1 man 1 woman definition.

My whole point is that I don’t think it’s possible, and so the issue becomes one of preference of discriminations. The vast majority of people prefer to discriminate in the 1 woman 1 man manner. What you aren’t willing to acknowledge is that any definition will invariably discriminate against someone’s idea of what marriage should be.

   other than endless sidetracking about whether our society is or is not founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs?) I have seen many examples where the conservative voices on this board make unsubstantiated arguments and then shift the subject in apparent attempts to dodge calls for proof.

I think you will find that these apparent dodges are due to miscommunication and time issues rather than deliberate attempts at obfuscation. As I have said previously-- my wish is to clarify positions.

   I hate generalizations as much as the next guy,

Not me. I think generalizations can be very useful at times.

   but I’ve seen it happen quite a few times.

I would be interested to see a specific example.

   Furthermore, I believe that o-t.d is a place where a number of articulate, well-informed voices congregate to run in circles with one another. I fear that this board has become a tarpit that expends all of our energies where they have the least possible effect. Hence my call to everyone here to take the message and the honest debating style out beyond our insular community.

John, I encourage you to do the same.

To join those articulate, well-informed voices? ;-)

   Vigorous debate is the foundation of a democratic society, and all voices should be heard.

Even the ones that aren’t articulate and well-informed. Sorry, I couldn’t resist acknowledging the backhanded slight:-)

Well, since I barely have time to participate as much as I would like in this venue, I’d have to demur (assuming you are talking about online discussions). But again, I’m not really looking to “effect” others. YMMV

   I still read LUGNET, and I don’t mean to suggest that anyone should stop posting here, but this is an important time for us to get the good word out beyond our small sphere.

What is that “good word”? Are you talking about Liberalism in general?

I have spent a lot of time over the past four years examining the neo-conservative takeover of the US government.

Have you spent any time considering the shift towards conservativism of the general populace? “Takeover”? Are we still not a representative democracy?

   I am terrorized

If not hysterical.

   by the deception and scare tactics that have been used as excuses to erode personal liberties

What personal liberties of yours have been eroded?

   and to ignore international law.

International law does not and never will trump US law. That is why being a member in an international body such as the UN is a bad idea.

   If Bush/Cheney take the election in November, I’d move to Canada except they’ll likely invade there next.

You are hysterical. What if I could guarantee you that the US wouldn’t invade Canada (personally, I’d vote to invade Mexico first-- better beaches and weather:-) or I’d give you $1,000,000 (I’m sure I could find a bookie who would take 100,000 to 1 odds for my $10 on that) Would you still go?

   There has never been a more important time for people to engage in enlightened debate about the direction our country is taking.

Until the next election;-)

   The “good word” to which I refer is the Truth. The Truth which the Bush/Cheney administration seem to hold in contempt, and which the American People deserve to hear. The only way to find Truth is to shine a light into dark corners, wherever they might be found. We’ve shone a lot of light (and thrown a lot of heat) here, so perhaps it is time to take that light out from underneath the bushel, as it were.

I really don’t understand what you are talking about. You really do sound like a Crusader, with Truth in your pocket. I thought the whole point of being a Liberal was that there are no absolutes; yet here you are, using religious language and metaphors, envoking religious ideas in an effort to convert others to your way of thinking.

I am all for seeking Truth, but I am at least wise enough to know that it won’t be found in politics.

JOHN