 Off-Topic / Debate / 25087
    Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage? —Ross Crawford
   Our largely taxpayer-funded free to air TV channel, the (URL), now (URL) says> it can't sell archival footage of politicians to 3rd party documentary makers, unless they get permission from the politician involved. They think "...the ABC could be (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage? —David Laswell
     (...) Not in the US. At least not any that I've ever heard. Once you're deemed to be "in the public eye", you lose a lot of your privacy rights while in the public view (they can't sneak into your house, but they might be able to get away with (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage? —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I wouldn't be surprised if other politically controlled news-orgs have that policy as well. It sort of stands to reason they would not want to upset the apple cart, derail the gravy train, rough up the golden-egg-laying-goose, you know what I (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage? —Richard Parsons
   (...) ianal, but I have had a passing association with both the TPA and torts, and this sounds like drivel, and not even very entertaining drivel. (...) Mmmmm. Sounds like the ABC is only a step or two away from starting Winston's (URL) work> in the (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage? —Scott Arthur
   (...) I did a quick search, but could find no other reference to this story. I feel that ABC should only withhold material if there is a risk that it may be misused. I know the BBC no longer releases its Hillsborough footage due to the risk of (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)