 Off-Topic / Debate / 25076
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:31 GMT

   Okay, okay, I’ll buy that. But in casual conversation and in debates in general, can you give me a term to use that will be as readily understood as “atheist?”

What’s wrong with “agnostic”?

   I would add to this that the Christian God is logically impossible, and therefore I, as a rational being, can never accept arguments in favor of his existence as described in canonical texts (though I accept that believers in God are able to accommodate logical impossibilities within their belief).

This sounds closer to atheism-- IE you believe in not-the-Christian-god. In my experience with agnostics, they often reject one (or multiple) religions, but are ‘undecided’ about the rest: “I don’t know what religion is right, but I *KNOW* it’s not ”.

To be honest, you sound more atheist than agnostic. The empirical evidence you’ve seen seems to suggest to you that no supernatural forces exist. Your dedication to the scientific theory demands of you that you accept the possibility of the supernatural, and so you accept it (begrudgingly) as a possibility, but you prefer to believe instead that no supernatural force exists. Hence, if you were asked to state your opinion as to whether or not a supernatural force existed, you would probably say ‘no’, versus a “true agnostic” who would probably have phenomenal difficulty answering the question.

DaveE