 Off-Topic / Debate / 25073
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:31:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

   I think our wires have gotten crossed in this part of the topic. Recently I have argued that there are no truly inherent rights, and that all rights are social constructs. Since in this passage we both appear to be arguing toward that same end, I’m not sure what we’re really arguing about.

As I read it, you were arguing that our “inalienable” rights were universally held (thereby showing that they couldn’t be credited to a specific religious heritage), and I was showing that they were not (thereby showing that they could).

Chalk this part up to miscommunication, then. And for the record, I certainly don’t believe that any “rights” are truly inherent and undeniable (inalienable).

   Maybe I misunderstood your point, then. It seemed as if you were suggesting that science is a flawed tool because one of the heavy-hitters of science has reformulated his assessment of a particular phenomenon.

I’m suggesting that science is a flawed tool because those who wield it (the human race) are flawed. If we weren’t, we’d know everything, and it wouldn’t be science anymore. It’d be “all that is”.

Science may be a flawed tool, in the same way that the Constitution is a flawed document, but each carries within it the means by which it may be improved. I would contrast these with dogma, which are resistant not merely to specific changes but to change in general.

   Because the Pledge, as modified by 1953 Congressional action, endorsed God, whom we can identify as the Christian God, based on Eisenhower’s writings of the same period.

That’s Eisenhower, and by virtue of the fact that he was not a member of Congress, his involvement is irrelevent to the wording that Congress shall not endorse a religion by act of law.

Of course his statements don’t carry the force of law, but can you find me a record of someone in Congress disagreeing with him? I would be content to read some Representative who said “you know, Dwight’s wrong about this fealty-to-the-Christian-God thing, but the basic idea is good anyway.” I don’t think that such a statement exists.

   Atheism has several distinct formulations, only one of which is relevant to me in this discussions, as I’ll show in just a moment.

You see atheism as encompassing the whole, much like using the term American to describe every resident of North and South America. I see atheism as a specific subset, much like referring only to residents of the US as Americans.

Okay, I can work with that definition, though honestly don’t agree with it.

   Zero is part of the set of whole numbers and is therefore a number, rather than the lack of a number.

Mathematics came up with a term specifically to include Zero in the number set. Before that, it was not considered a number.

But are you suggesting that some day atheists will realize that, heck, they’re all just as religious as Christians? This sounds like nothing but an attempt to maneuver atheists into an awkward position so that theists can say “gotcha.”

   Thus far you are attempting to define religion as infinitely inclusive, so that it is impossible not to qualify as some member of the “set” of religions.

Organized religions fall into the positive category (you believe something exists), atheism falls into the negative category (you believe nothing exists), and true non-religion is limited to 0. You don’t believe “+”, but you don’t believe “-” either. You just don’t believe.

Okay, okay, I’ll buy that. But in casual conversation and in debates in general, can you give me a term to use that will be as readily understood as “atheist?” I don’t care for “non-believer,” which sounds like “someone who will see the light eventually,” and I hate hate hate the idiotic term “bright,” which was recently and stupidly coined by well-meaning atheists in a limp attempt to put a positive spin on their public image.

I could go with “empiricist,” but that would require a 20 minute explanation every time I used the word, which would hardly help the matter.

   I reject this definition of “non-religious status” because it requires the simultaneous possession of negative belief in a positive and positive belief in a negative, when a person may have one independent of the other. You are, in essence, conflating a “lack of belief in the existence of a thing” with the “belief in the lack of the existence of a thing.” This is logically incorrect.

No, I’m just going by the definition that views atheism specifically as holding to the latter. If you don’t believe in god, and you don’t believe in not-god, but you admit the possibility that there might be something out there, you’re an agnostic, not an atheist. If you believe in divine creation but not divine interaction (god created everything, then left), you’re a deist.

   If you believe in not-god but also believe that there are fundamental truths regarding morality, you’re a humanist.

   If you don’t believe anything regarding divinity, moral truths, or the lack thereof, only then can you claim non-religious status (which I think is what the term “non-theist” is in reference to).

How about this: Based on all empirical (which is to say “verifiable by sensory observation”) evidence available, I do not find sufficient reason to believe in the existence of any deity, any transcendent moral truth, nor any supernatural phenomena. I also assert that society has attempted to enshrine certain values as immutable, and in some cases these have lasted for centuries or millennia, but these are based on cultural pressures rather than some inherent morality. Additionally, it would be foolish to claim that nothing is inherent in anything--inertia is inherent in matter, for example--but moral consensus is not a physical property, CS Lewis notwithstanding.

I would add to this that the Christian God is logically impossible, and therefore I, as a rational being, can never accept arguments in favor of his existence as described in canonical texts (though I accept that believers in God are able to accommodate logical impossibilities within their belief).

   In brief, I do not believe in the existence of god. This is not the same as believing in the non-existence of god.

And thus you are not a true atheist (by the definition that I have formulated--annotation mine.

Well, okay. But I’ll stick with the term “atheist” because it gets closest to what I’m talking about. And if, in conversation, someone cares to contest the point, I’m always happy to explore it further.

Dave!