 Off-Topic / Debate / 25024
Re: Big 2 willing to help with ballot access?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:22:32 GMT

It was reported in the local press that Ralph Nader is getting some aid in his
quest to get on the MI ballot from an (at first glance) unexpected quarter.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040709/ap_on_el_pr/nader_petitions

...the GOP!

yes, as long as the big two think a third party or independent candidate can, by
being on the ballot, spoil things for their opposition, they'r perfectly happy
to waste their donors time and money in helping overcome the bogus barriers they
themselves erected to keep elections less free.

If I was a GOP donor with a sense of ethics (1) I'd be annoyed.

1 - Yes, I think these do exist.

I didn't pay too much attention to the 'Perot' years, but I wuold imagine, just
thinking about it now, that possibly some Dems were more than willingto work at
getting 'Little Yappy' on the ballot in many states, considering he filtered off
many conservative votes.

Tit(1) for tat, I believe the saying goes.

Up here in Canada, the right, having had two parties from which to choose (PC's
and Reform), basically split the conservative vote so the Libs basically walked
until the last election, when the two right parties became the Alliance.  The
Libs still won last election, but it was much closer.

Anyway, jsut things I've noticed thru the years...

Dave K
1-or should I have waited until Larry got back with 'official LUGNET policy
before writing that?