 Off-Topic / Debate / 24779
  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Well, when I first mentioned the hypothetical, it was *my* hypothetical, and now that the powers-that-be are addressing it, I'm becoming more concerned. My reasons for this are several: 1. Special elections tend to favor the Right wing, due to (...) (20 years ago, 13-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) I object to that on the grounds that while Bush was understandably interested in keeping the vote in his favor, Gore only presented an alternative that was decidedly biased in his favor (selectively recounting only known pro-Dem counties in a (...) (20 years ago, 13-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) To be fair to Gore, though, the contested counties were the ones that showed the irregularities, such as questionable "felon" rosters, questionable butterfly ballots, questionable voting machines, and generally questionable tactics of denying (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) I thought the issue was that they were unlikely to vote for Buchanan. (...) The issue was that the Democrats were only bringing known pro-Dem areas into question in the first place. Voting errors occur all the time, and Gore's campaign wasn't (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Interestingly, it appears that the GOP has decided that e-voting is so unreliable that it's encouraging Florida Republicans to use their absentee ballots instead. (URL) this is all becoming less and less hypothetical as we go along. Hmm... (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) I've been against e-voting from very first moment I heard about it, because the closer it gets to being done over the internet, the closer it gets to the point where either a hacker can directly tweak the results, or a timed virus can prevent (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message news:I1zIBB.6M0@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) to (...) not one (...) party (...) door). The best ballots I have seen so far were in Wake County North Carolina. A very easy ballot where (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  "In order to do a proper count one has to know how many people voted in the first place."

(...) Postal votes have been used in the UK for yonks. However, they have been used recently as a tool to improve voter turnout. This has led to three problems: Party workers have been "assisting" voters with the paperwork. Within some ethnic (...) (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: "In order to do a proper count one has to know how many people voted in the first place."

(...) We've got Absentee Ballots, but they're primarily aimed at those who either can't be in their district on voting day (such as deployed troops), or can't reasonably be expected to travel to their voting place (such as the elderly or (...) (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)