 Off-Topic / Debate / 24807
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:20:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   2. The Supreme Court, which would likely be dragged into the adjudication of the election’s results, has been demonstrated already to be very friendly to Bush re: election results.

I object to that on the grounds that while Bush was understandably interested in keeping the vote in his favor, Gore only presented an alternative that was decidedly biased in his favor (selectively recounting only known pro-Dem counties in a clear attempt to pump the vote in his favor).

To be fair to Gore, though, the contested counties were the ones that showed the irregularities, such as questionable “felon” rosters, questionable butterfly ballots, questionable voting machines, and generally questionable tactics of denying the vote to citizens who seemed coincidentally unlikely to vote for Bush.

   If Gore had asked for a full state-wide recount, I’d sympathize with him being turned down, but picking and choosing who not to disenfranchise based solely on which party’s listed on their voter cards would be clear favoritism (and if he’d asked for a full recount like he should have, maybe they would have decided in his favor).

A full recount wasn’t in order, or in any case that wasn’t the issue being addressed. The issue was that certain precincts were identified to have suffered from conspicuous glitches and procedural errors, and these were the counties in which the recounts were requested. If other precincts were not in question, then it would have been a waste of time and resources to recount them.

   Now, all that being said, I think the best thing for national morale would have been if they’d decided in Gore’s favor, since he would have still lost anyways.

Really? Does that include the numerous and well-documented tactics by which Republicans, specifically under Katherine Harris and Jeb Bush, worked to skew the vote tallies in Dubya’s favor? And does it also include the negative 16,000 votes that Florida’s machines plopped on Gore’s total? What was Dubya’s margin of victory in Florida? 600 votes? Well, if you correct the 16,000, that changes Dubya’s 600 victory to a 15,400 loss.

   The Dems wouldn’t be able to protest without looking increasingly more pathetic (wait, that recount didn’t work out in our favor...hey, how about if we recount ‘em like this!), and the GOP wouldn’t have protested any longer than it would have taken to show they’d won the selective recount. Both parties would have walked away with at least a partial victory, and there wouldn’t be any grounds for whining about favoritism.

Do I correctly understand you to be claiming that concerns about the subversion of the Constitution, the theft of the Whitehouse, and the resulting four-years-worth of destruction of US domestic and foreign policies are “whining?”

Just curious.

Dave!