 Off-Topic / Debate / 24742
Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:28:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
Yes, I get tired of the "clueless American" geography issue, when I find so many
non-US citizens are surprised to find out that I can drive for over 600 miles on
relatively straight interstates without touching reaching the far end of the state I
live in.  The last state I lived in also was well over 600 miles long.

The sheer size of individual states just doesn't sink in to some Europeans that
scoff at *our* lack of geography background.

Purple Dave wrote:

I think my favorite real-world example is a story a friend of
mine told me, where they were visited in Michigan by German relatives who
thought it'd make a good day-trip to visit the Grand Canyon.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/

Takes me 20 hours(ish) of straight driving to get from my place in Ontario to
the next province--Manitoba

Though I'd say the best story about size and geography--a friends father tagged
along with a university undergrad study course to look at trees in the former
Soviet Union.  It took a bunch of connecting flights to get to Moscow, at which
time he boards another jet, flies 7 hours east, and lands in the same country on
the same land mass.  (So no talking about Hawaii ;) )

Yeah, that's big.

I don't think either Canada or the US could compete with that.

The guy had a great time--21 days camping in the largest forest in the world.
What was the stat again--1 forest wider than the continental US?  My memory may
be faulty on that part of the story... but yeah, that's big.

Dave K