 Off-Topic / Debate / 24693
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:49:02 GMT

"Bruce Schlickbernd" <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
Interesting comments by you and Frank.  I have a reaction on a couple of
different levels.  One, as a soldier, I sure as heck wouldn't want those • guys
forced into guarding my back.  Two, at some point, people as individuals • must
question their orders ("shoot that lot of prisoners over there", "torture • that
guy", "Gas those guys who look different").  You have to know that being • in the
military involves killing people, but at some point you have to draw the • line.
However, if I was a volunteer soldier I would not have drawn it where • these guys
did.  Still, I would rather see Canada accept them.

Good point about people who don't want to be there guarding people's back...
I think the military training probably needs to strive for the best possible
tests of fitness for service, which includes psychological as well as
physical fitness.

You are right also that a soldier always has to be prepared to say "no" to
an order, however, one should ask oneself before joining: "If we actually go
and engage in a war like the past wars we have engaged in, will I be willing
to shoot?" If the answer is "No." then don't join.

Frank