 Off-Topic / Debate / 24692
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:45:09 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

I don't want to encourage people to take the military free ride
to education if they aren't willing to be shot at.

Yeah.

You know, this whole topic would be easier if one of two things would • happen:
either privatize the armed services -- eliminating any need to deal with • this
kind of situation any differently than any other contractual obligation, • or
socialize education -- eliminating any need for poor people to put their • lives
on the line in order to get the shot at education that we all* took for
granted.

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with either solution, but I think we should widen
the sources for aid. In a lot of ways, I think military service is good.

Actually a better solution here would be to make sure we only fight just
wars, and are balancing the justness of the war with who we are asking to do
the fighting for us.

* Well, maybe not all of us, but I get the idea that most of us fit the
bill.

While I admit I had it pretty easy, I don't think I took it for granted (or
at least not completely - one could argue that I did take certain economic
realities for granted). I greatly respect that my parents were able to save
up the money to send three kids to colleges (and good, expensive ones). And
that was on a single government paycheck.

Frank