 Off-Topic / Debate / 24574
24573  |  24575
Subject:
Robbery, Reconstruction or Quagmire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:04:15 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   They are a part of it only insofar as we have started to fight back. We did not begin this war.

You can rewrite history all you want but your adminisgtration *did* start this war--The US invaded Iraq. Iraq being a sovereign nation at the time that made no direct threats towards the US, no matter what the US administration wanted the world to think. And you can’t bring up Kuwait ‘cause that was dispensed with in the ‘90’s.

And besides, we started that war too.

Speaking of rewriting history....

   Give *any* shred of direct Iraqi threat towards the US that you can hang this war on. Any. 9/11? No Iraqis there.

I’m pretty sure that John does mean they started it with 9/11.

I meant that we finally started fighting back with 9-11.

I like your idea of fighting back--Larry punches me in the face so, using ‘John Logic’, I’d punch, well, John in the face.

Iraq didn’t provoke you.

You are either not listening or being deliberately obtuse. We did not start a war with the people of Iraq; we simply deposed their oppressive government whom we perceived as a potential threat. We are fighting for Iraq, not against Iraq. Isn’t this obvious?

John, do you really believe this codswallop?
  1. This article argues that security costs are eating up 25% of reconstruction contracts and that insurance brokers selling sudden-death policies to contractors in Iraq have doubled their premiums, with insurance costs reaching 30% of payroll. That means many companies are spending half their budgets arming and insuring themselves against the people they are supposedly in Iraq to help. And, according to Charles Adwan of Transparency International, quoted on US National Public Radio’s Marketplace programme, “at least 20% of US spending in Iraq is lost to corruption”. How much is actually left over for reconstruction? Don’t do the maths.
  2. Money ($184m) is being removed from the much needed drinking water projects to pay for the US embassy: Short of $1bn for the embassy, Richard Armitage, the deputy secretary of state, said he might have to “rob from Peter in my fiefdom to pay Paul”. In fact, he is robbing Iraq’s people, who, according to a recent study by the consumer group Public Citizen, are facing “massive outbreaks of cholera, diarrhoea, nausea and kidney stones” from drinking contaminated water.
  3. Halliburton are abandoning $85,000 trucks because they don’t carry spare tyres.
  4. ...and today it has been reported that Billions of revenue from oil ‘missing’
  5. The Iraq PM is a CIA stooge/terrorist.
  6. The US Ambassador is known to have helped fund mass murder in Central America (with St Ron).
Scott A