 Off-Topic / Debate / 24562
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:38:30 GMT

   I can see your point, but I maintain that, since these ugly realities are part of the war that Dubya started,

They are a part of it only insofar as we have started to fight back. We did not begin this war.

You can rewrite history all you want but your adminisgtration *did* start this war--The US invaded Iraq.

We are talking about different things. I was speaking about the war on terrorism in general; the fight against Muslim extremists who have been murdering innocents around the world for some time now. War was “declared” on the world a long time ago; we merely chose to ignore it. Finally, with the attack on 9-11, we decided to take action.

   Iraq being a sovereign nation at the time that made no direct threats towards the US, no matter what the US administration wanted the world to think. And you can’t bring up Kuwait ‘cause that was dispensed with in the ‘90’s.

Since terrorists have no specific country to invade, we obviously needed to root them out of countries in which they hid. Afganistan, for instance. Also, we declared to all nations: any country who aides, abets, harbors, funds, etc. terrorists will be considered enemies and will be targeted in our effort to eradicate terrorism.

SH was a known supporter of terrorism, a cruel and inhuman leader, a user of WMD, a controller of vast amounts of oil, and a hater of the US. Given all of these qualities rolled into one dispicable human was constituted as a direct threat to the US. He was given an ultimatum to leave power. He refused, and the invasion of Iraq was simply to depose him and his cruel government. We didn’t want to steal their oil, but to liberate the Iraqi people and give them the chance at Freedom and Democracy while giving us the opportunity to be free of a dangerous menace, and to freely purchase their oil.

   Give *any* shred of direct Iraqi threat towards the US that you can hang this war on. Any. 9/11? No Iraqis there.

There is now evidence that SH knew about the plans for the 9-11 attack.

   Missles/nuclear programs/other WoMD? There was no direct or ‘clear and imminent threat there.

Sure, because of a rogue attack by Israel to destroy his nuclear facility. To say in hindsight that there wasn’t a imminent threat is rather lame. The only way to know that a threat was truly “imminent” would be right after the threat having been successfully carried out.

Further, your implicit trust of the madman SH is disingenuous at best, and crazy at worst.

   What was Blix doing?

That’s a very good question:-)

   You have to live with the *fact* that your administration started this atrocity.

Atrocity? A cruel, evil dictator who butchered 100,000s of his own people deposed is an atrocity????

   This atrocity, mind you, that has killed hundreds of soldiers and tens of thousands of civilians,

As opposed to SH killing 100,000s of his own citizens. I win the numbers game. Sorry.

   and had increased--*increased*--the threat of terrorism around the world,

No, wrong again. The removal of the leaders of terrorism decreases the threat. Seems like a pretty simple concept really.

   and there’s no getting around that no matter how much you and the administration try to obfuscate those points.

Saying ‘we’re the good guys’ over and over don’t make it so.

Seems to me that you are propping up a good guy straw man here. Where have you heard it said that “we’re the good guys”. I have heard the perpetrators of terrorism called “evil”, but that is not the same thing. You are falling victim to a moral relativism that, in essence, gives no one the right to do anything to stop anybody from doing anything (“Nobody’s perfect!”)

Perfection has nothing to do with it. In this case, these sacks of excrement are wrong, and we will stop them. Call us what you will; it still doesn’t change the fact that they are sacks of excrement and they are wrong.

JOHN