 Off-Topic / Debate / 24537
Re: Taking the bait (was Re: Fair use and allusion?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:33:02 GMT

   In post 24440 (ie, the post-at-hand) you rattled off a litany of negative descriptors, identifying Moore as a “waste of food and total twit” who is “without shame,” who “is mostly wrong about stuff,” and whose “approach to his work is entirely without merit.” Those are mighty big assertions to make without giving even a mote of corroborating evidence.

The evidence has been presented here in the past and I’m not inclined to dig it up again.

Because the willful choice not to support your argument is indistinguishable from forfeiting the argument, I accept this as your forfeiture. If it is not your intent to forfeit, then I invite you to support your argument, as you have demanded that I support mine.

   Given your history in this forum of taking a decidely and vehemently pro-corporate bent,

Cites please? I’m not pro-corporate by any stretch of the imagination, unless you’re anti-capitalist and don’t see the distinction between corporatism and capitalism.

You have in the past equivocated on the definition of “corporation” in an attempt to afford corporations greater rights than they are due. You have also equated humans and corporations in regards to free speech, thereby elevating legalistic constructs to the status of protected citizens. Further, your attack on NPR was a rant against a media source because you perceived it as “anti-corporation”

In addition, your slavish devotion to the mythical free market, which in practice means “a market free from corporate accountability” and almost guarantees corporate corruption and malfeasance, demonstrates that you ally yourself with pro-corporatism interests.

I will concede that you claim to believe that big corporations have too much power, but that is not inconsistent with your overall pro-corporate thrust. I would also mention that it is naive to imagine that big corporations would not become bigger and more powerful in a free market, despite Libertarian doctrine to the contrary.

While I’ve got you on the line, I’m inclined to take this opportunity to observe that you have a long-running habit of claiming that your points are proven, yet you seldom provide the documentation of those proofs. You also enjoy a sort of flippant dismissal of arguments with curt little comments instead of real, thoughtful responses. You also insert any number of rhetorical belaying-points so that, when your arguments are knocked down, you can easily pivot on one or more of your semantical pitons in an effort to change the argument retroactively (this is, by the way, a well-established Libertarian tactic). And, when push comes to shove, you complain that you lack the time to present evidence, an argument, or even an example.

Interestingly, you are quicker than anyone to demand that your opponents support their arguments with precise citation and clear definitions of any and all terms that you wish to clarify. You’re free to make those demands upon the discourse, but it is significant that you judge yourself unbound by those same demands. I call that cowardly.

As a parenthetical note for the interested reader: I just engaged in an ad hominem attack upon Larry for his slippery methods of avoiding serious debate, and I am happy to support that attack with citations, if asked. However, my ad hominem attack upon Larry should be distinguished from ad hominem argument because I assert that Larry’s faulty tactics of argument manifestly do not invalidate the arguments themselves. This constrasts with Larry’s attacks on Moore and the issues that Moore supports because Larry did not distinguish clearly between the man and the issue.

If Larry’s reponse is along the lines of “the distinction is clear to a careful reader,” then his response is a thinly veiled ad hominem attack upon me, but it doesn’t touch my argument.

   Further, you assert that Moore’s only intention in naming his film was to “rip off” Bradbury. How the heck do you know that?

He said it was his intention (about the name), although not in so many words.

Cite, please. Did he assert it as his *only* intention was to rip off Bradbury, or is that your spin?

Dave!