 Off-Topic / Debate / 20592
Re: Free Speech, again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:08:13 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/04/23/scotus.free.speech.ap/index.html

I am as big a proponent of free speech as anyone I know,

Well, maybe not.

but I don't
accept that corporations are citizens protected under the first amendment.

They don't themselves have to be citizens for their actions to be protected.
Engage in this thought experiment with me.

Suppose I take out an ad in the paper that says "Hop Frog sometimes posts
mean things in lugnet.off-topic.debate, and from time to time acts in a way
that baits others into responding rashly".

That's protected speech, ne? Subject only to civil suits regarding
slander/libel, I certainly can post that ad if I want. And since it's true,
we're pretty safe on that score too.

Now suppose you decide that's a pretty good ad, and email me saying you want
to pay 1/2 the cost because you happen to agree. Still protected speech.

What if we incorporate for the express purpose of running more of these ads?
Still protected speech.

What if we issue stock and go public? Still protected speech. Now it's
subject to the stockholders deciding they don't want us running ads but it's
still the stockholders driving.

A corporation need not have independent existance since its actions are at
the direction of its owners.

Nike is within is rights to run ads to influence public opinion as long as
they are not slanderous or libelous. In fact, in this case, NOT doing so is
doing its owners a disservice.

Ditto any corporate executive or agent speaking on behalf of the
corporation; the speech of *the person* is protected, but not when that
person is acting as an arm of the company.

No. See above.

To me it's very much the same as when Dubya invokes God in every speech.
George W. Bush is free to worship and believe as he sees fit, but as *the
president* his individual rights are subordinate to the limitations of his
office.

You are correct that he's subordinate to the limitations of office but
government and corporations are different legal animals and your connection
is invalid, in my view.

    Dave!