 Off-Topic / Debate / 2451
Re: Discussion (Was: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:59:35 GMT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:57:27 GMT, Scott Edward Sanburn
<ssanburn@aeieng.com> wrote:

Well, that's not the government's job to enforce fairness. Look at the wonders
it did in the USSR, etc.

Fairness was moist emphatically not enforced in the USSR. Marxism has
never happened.

It's flawed thinking that the people who pay the most
in taxes do not deserve some of it back. Most of the government spending (around
65%) goes to social programs, and most of it 70-80% of the costs are the
bureaucracy running it. I'm mad about it, even if I am not rich, I still pay a
good chunk of taxes.

I wonder where you get your figures. My figures say the costs of
administration of the US welfare system are about 2% of the total sum
paid out.

To put this in context, here is what a few of our lawmakers are saying about the
measly 1% tax cut, from the overcharging of taxes (The "surplus" of tax revenue,
the term adopted by the left wing media)  that was vetoed by Bill Clinton:

"It threatens Social Security and Medicare, makes it harder to pay off the debt,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and imperils the prosperity that has brought real benefits to American
families.." -
- Bill Clinton

Man, I thought Y2K was horrible! Oh no, its the 1% tax cut!!! Were all gonna

You know, getting rid of that debt of yours should be a primary
priority. ghetting more money in taxes than money flows outward is a
much more ideal state tham a state where taxes fluctuate randomly to
keep up with ups and downs in spending.

Jasper