 Off-Topic / Debate / 24447
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:40:08 GMT

   I’d say Moore is well within his rights here. Did Arthur C. Clarke or Stanley Kubrick’s estate receive royalties for Leslie Nielsen’s parodic film? Do you really believe that a royalty should be paid every time an allusive reference is made?

Hmmm, seems this case is different. Perhaps because MM choose it for his title. I’m sure I’d have a difficult time starting up a department store chain called “Wall to Wall Mart”, or a toy company called “Lay-Go” There is a definite connection between similarly titled bodies of work here, and I think permission should have been granted in this case first.

In general, I believe that royalties should only be paid when someone is profitting off of another person’s work.

FWIW I think Campbell’s would have had a case against Warhol. Too bad he didn’t try a posterization of the LEGO logo-- TLC sharks would have had a frenzy (but I stray off-topic;-)

   Bradbury can complain, but that’s too bad for Bradbury.

   As an aside, are you asserting that Farenheit 9-11 is a satire and parody and shouldn’t be taken seriously?

Of course that’s not what I’m asserting. Why should satire not be taken as serious social or political commentary?

A regretful choice of words on my part. I meant do you believe that MM was making reference to F451 and satirizing that body of work. Or was MM simply trying to be clever-- perhaps too clever by half?

JOHN