 Off-Topic / Debate / 24438
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:58:01 GMT

   Farenheit 451 is a copyrighted work, to be sure, but it seems to me that the laws protecting satire & parody should easily trump Bradbury’s objection to Moore’s allusive use of the title.

Perhaps if MM was addressing Bradbury’s work, which I believe isn’t the case. Basically, MM merely ripped off the title for punch/pun effect, and so is profitting at the expense of Bradbury’s IP.

Well, news programs constantly use punch/pun titles, and no one complains about it (except when the torrent of stupid puns overwhelms the discourse (such as when Trent Lott pined for the days of segregation: “Lott of Trouble,” “Lott of Questions,” or even in the current case: “Moore Trouble,” “Moore Questions,” etc. Very clever...))

I’d say Moore is well within his rights here. Did Arthur C. Clarke or Stanley Kubrick’s estate receive royalties for Leslie Nielsen’s parodic film? Do you really believe that a royalty should be paid every time an allusive reference is made?

Bradbury can complain, but that’s too bad for Bradbury.

   As an aside, are you asserting that Farenheit 9-11 is a satire and parody and shouldn’t be taken seriously?

Of course that’s not what I’m asserting. Why should satire not be taken as serious social or political commentary?

Dave!