 Off-Topic / Debate / 24401
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:16:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

Good point! As long as no one is being harmed, they should go for it. The real, and obvious, answer is that marriage is a social institution that should have no role in government whatsoever.

My feeling is that it is the responsibility of government to ensure our children are provided with the best possible opportunities in childhood. It just so happens that children who are cared for by parents who are in a stable relationship tend to get a good start in life. I think government should take reasonable steps to maximise that stability of families. If that means “promoting” marriage, I’m not going to cry about it!

Hopefully you mean “best possible within economic reason.” Also, I’d like to see how the “stable relationship”:”good start” metrics are compiled (you’re reporting actual findings, right...not just opinion or impression?). Further, since I know kids who did not have that environment who turned out well, confounding variables are suggested. I’d suggest we ought to figure out what those are and try to provide the things that can actually be causally correlated with the positive outcome.

These are my phrases and the terms I’ve used are subjective. I suppose I’m just reflecting the view that most married ppl accept without really questioning it. If you want to “upset the apple cart”, why not show me that I should question it?

A quick search for “How Marriage Benefits Children” produced this: http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=IF03J02

Promoting marriage certainly isn’t a travesty of our times and there are much more important things going on, but I’m not going to ignore it when it comes up in conversation just because of that. It is still disenfranchising to those who choose non-married lifestyles.

You mean like tax cuts for the rich disenfranchise the poor?

Scott A

   Why set up divisive constructs in society at all?

   I have also to be convinced that MM or FF “parents” are not better than many MF parents.

Agreed.

Chris