 Off-Topic / Debate / 24315
Re: when you change the facts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   And since you’re quoting old pop tunes, consider these. I’d have thought this one was your motto. “You can’t change the world, but you can change the facts...”

An interesting choice.

And what you might say with irony I say with conviction (1). These lyrics would be a fine theme. I’d say Scott is trying to change some people’s ‘facts’, because their ‘facts’ just aren’t.

As the song points out - you can change the world.

You can’t change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

Indeed, I venture to guess that there are respectable careers made in international affairs by changing facts here and there to support policy.

In a world of perceptions so carefully crafted by spin, challenging some of these ‘facts’ back seems almost like a duty.

I’m not sure I agree that that is what the song is about. I think it is saying there are two types of news stories (facts):
  1. Real news: “Bomb blast victim fights for life”.
  2. Celebrity tittle-tattle: “Princess Di is wearing a new dress”.
Gore’s point is that media focus on the latter “fact” means that nothing is done about the former. Therefore, changing the facts (the News Story) can change the world.

Scott A

Happy to defer to the Depeche Mode experts. As always, can only talk with certainty about what it means to me :-)

Richard
Still baldly going