 Off-Topic / Debate / 24236
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:20:24 GMT

   I was thinking that season 2 thru 4 of Bab 5, specifically regarding President Clarke’s assention to power and the corruption thereof, with all the ‘homeguard’, the ‘poli-speak’, and the ‘if you’re not with us, you’re against us’ rhetoric is as close as I have seen to a ‘fictionalized’ Dubya administration.

I’d have to refresh my memory of some of the quotations from that particular storyline in B5, but from what I recall they’re sounding pretty ‘verbatim’ to the current administration. JMS was a few years ahead of his time.

I hate to have to tell you this, but JMS was actually a few decades behind his time! Orwell pegged all of that stuff way back in 1948! I’m not a B5 fan, so I can’t comment on the particulars of that series, but it sounds like JMS was offering an homage to, or perhaps a variation on the theme of, Orwell’s work.

Orwell has some passages that could easily be uttered by Rumsfeld today, for example, and no one would notice a change in diction or message.

Dave!